I once had a debate with a coworker about the word “quirky”.
He believed that calling someone quirky was a negative thing. Like saying, “You’re an odd-ball, weirdo, freak-a-zoid.”
I think quirky is much less offensive. Odd-ball might still be appropriate, but to me it means someone is unique, an individual, they have a funny sense-of-humor. Quirkiness is an ability to see things that others never notice, express things with more passion and silliness.
Basically I need to think ‘Quirky’ is a good thing, because I’m quirky. That’s cool, I’m okay with it.
I hope you will keep reading my blog for the next 100 years, so I thought I probably need to expose some of my quirkiness so that you can get to know me a bit better. The only appropriate format for sharing my quirkiness would be a random list of my odd-ball habits. So here it goes…
- I do not eat deli-meat. To me, this makes perfect sense – it is slimy, it grosses me out that the deli will slice a little off for me, then put that hunk of processed meat back in the fridge for the next stranger that comes along that wants a few slices off the same hunk. Gross. I don’t like sharing meat with perfect strangers. And did I mention that it’s slimy? Don’t try to analyze this, seriously, it just gets weirder the more questions you ask me…
- I will not share dairy products. I can not explain why, but the thought of taking a bite of ice cream off the same spoon anyone else has already eaten ice cream off of is totally nasty. A sip of milk after someone else sips that milk, nope. It’s the thought of little spindles of spit floating in that lactic product that just sends me over the edge. I am currently making an “ick” face as I type this. Yeah….not sharing milk products.
- I am addicted to Dr. Pepper lip balm. My mother gives me several tubes each year at Christmas. Then in June I have to buy 4-5 more tubes which usually last me until I get my stocking. I put lip balm on about 2,793 times per day. Seriously, I have a tube in my car, purse, by the couch, in the kitchen and by my bed. I put it on my lips before I go to sleep, and at 1:30 sharp I wake up needing lip balm. (I just had to put some on because I was talking about it).
- I wipe off my dog’s feet with a wash rag every time he comes in the house.
- I love to make lists lists lists. My preference is to make a list in Excel because I can build in check boxes next to each item. That way I can print out the list and mark the box by each item. And I have a key for my marks… X-Cancelled item, Check-mark – Item completed, > – Move this item to updated list because I haven’t finished it yet but need to do it, (.) – Working on it but not done. Yeah…I’m “quirky” alright.
- I fidget. I didn’t realize how noticeable it was until a coworker told me that I’m always twirling my pen or doodling. This is why I love texting so much…gives me something to do with my hands so I don’t look like I’m nervous. Really, I don’t fidget because I’m nervous. I kinda do it because I’m bored and trying to not look bored.
- I get bored easily.
- I hate the following words: sausage, sore, scab, supper, moist and any weird way to say yum (ie yummo, yummers)
- I leave my shoes all over the house. One of my husband’s favorite past times is counting how many shoes he can find in a single room.
- My favorite color used to be purple, but it has evolved and is now pink. Why? I couldn’t tell ya.
Okay…10 quirky things about me. Are you quirky??? Tell me some of your quirky habits!